Thursday, April 5, 2007

LOST

Although I was never a fan of the ABC show Lost in the previous seasons, I've become addicted to it. This semester I am without a television and end up watching all of my favorite shows on the internet. I think that ABC has the best website for this. http://abc.go.com/ It's quick and easy and I end up watching more than just my favorite shows. The online availibility of the shows expanded my viewership. I started out only watching Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. As this semester went on, I became addicted to Ugly Better and Lost as well. I don't have to be in front of a tv at any specific time or remember to TiVo anything because my shows are always ready.

Anyway, back to product placement. I just finished watching yesterday's episode of Lost. I've realized that there is no visable product placement. There are no designer brands or food labels shown. Everything is generic. Even the website SeenOn.com which boasts hundreds of product placements for each show, has very few items for the show Lost. http://www.seenon.com/television/abc/lost/filter/product_cat/Accessories/filter/product_cat/Category/filter/product_cat/Apparel/filter/product_cat/Category/filter/product_cat/Food%20&%20Beverage/?product_cat=Food+%26+Beverage Although this storyline takes place on a remote island, we learned this season that "the others" have the ability to reach the mainland and get supplies. If they are able to do so, wouldn't it make sense that the food had brands?

Maybe the producers of Lost decided not to use product placement for a reason. Maybe they thought it would distract viewers from the fact that the cast was supposed to be lost on the island in the middle of nowhere. However, the flashbacks to life before the crash would be excellent opportunities to show brand names. With product placements everywhere, the show seems surprisingly empty without them.

No comments: